Campus has many options for students who need help

Students have busy schedules and limited funds, which makes finding the time to visit a doctor problematic and getting the means to pay for visits without insurance even more bothersome. 

What you may not know is that on campus, there are several options for many of your health needs at affordable prices. 

At almost 5,000 appointments per year, the dental health clinic located on campus is one of the busiest health services available.

Open to the public, the clinic offers affordable dental assistance to those in need who have a limited budget. 

“We have reason to believe they seek our services because we’re cheaper than a private dental office,” Denise Maseman, chairperson for the dental clinic, said. 

The biggest complaint about visiting the clinic is that appointments can take several hours, because students are the dentists working on the patients. Dental hygiene faculty monitor and evaluate the students during the different stages of their work, however, to make sure that everything is being done properly.

Maseman said the most common mistake that people make, without realizing the importance of it, is not flossing. 

“What they do on a daily basis to care for their teeth is what really helps them to maintain good oral health,” Maseman said. “Bacteria can affect the teeth within 24 hours.”

We now know that having good oral hygiene means more than just having healthy teeth. Gum disease has been linked to heart attacks and stroke victims, and those with infections are more at risk of respiratory problems. 

“Infection in the mouth can be related to your overall health,” Maseman said. 

If you are having problems with your overall health, Student Health Services has a general clinic on campus that is available to students. Requiring a $6 fee per office visit, the clinic is cheaper than most copays required by insurance companies at other doctor’s offices.

The professional staff at the clinic provides medical treatment for students and offers guidance and education to promote good health and prevent disease. One of the biggest services that the clinic has available, not widely known among students, is its affordable over-the-counter drugs.

The clinic also hosts several outreach programs throughout the year, such as a flu clinic every fall. On April 25, they will be having free testing for sexually transmitted disease from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in honor of National STD Testing Month. 

“With our free testing night and our regular services, there is a good opportunity to check your sexual health status,” Registered Nurse/Associate Director Heather Stafford said. 

Not all health issues are physical, however.

The Counseling and Testing Center provides help to students, faculty, and staff in need of emotional support for mental health. They can help in adjusting to college life, provide marriage counseling and help with severe mental illnesses. 

One of the demographics that counselors in the center help is international students. These students sometimes have a difficult time adjusting to the new cultures, communities and environment in the United States, because they are different from what they are used to in their native country.

With a free consultation on your first visit, and $10 follow-up sessions, the center is more affordable than most other options out there for Wichita State students and faculty. 

With all of the different affordable options available to students on campus, there is something for anyone in need of help.