Having a diet plan can lead to better eating decisions

Students on campus have created some options to help make the shift to eating healthier. 

Sophomore Braden Pelischek said he noticed that he needed to change his eating habits the day after the Super Bowl.

“I looked at what I was eating. I looked down and saw a food baby,” Pelischek said.

Soon afterward, he decided it was time to start a program called Herbalife. 

Herbalife’s mission is ‘to change people’s lives by providing the best business opportunity in direct selling and the best nutrition and weight-management products in the world,’ and that’s what Pelischek needed and posted on his website.

“I am on a weight loss program that is two shakes a day with vitamins and then a healthy dinner. Add a little running and I’ve lost 34 pounds in two months,” Pelischek said.

Pelischek sells the QuickStart program, which starts at $130 and comes with a discount for Wichita State students. He can be reached at 1-620-474-6331.

Sometimes people need help in making healthy eating decisions. 

Pomegranates are a good source of dietary fiber and vitamin C, and cranberries are a powerful preventer of urinary tract infections. Adding fruit to any shake or having them for dessert is an easy fix for a bland plate.

Junior Amy Newsom had been eating healthy for the past two months when she realized that exercising and eating healthy were getting her nowhere.

“I was just tired of working out and not seeing the results,” Newsom said. 

She added that nutrition is key to losing weight.

“I’ve definitely had drawbacks because of all the food temptations out there. I just have to remember the reasons I’m eating healthy and working out,” she said.

Newsom eats cottage cheese, apples, strawberries, blueberries and protein bars.

“What makes it so good is that I’ll mix cottage cheese with the fruits and with some sort of nut like almonds,” Newsom said. 

Another dish I make is cottage cheese mixed with carrots and celery or a fruit salad. It is a bit different, but I find my best healthy meals come from being creative and mixing things together.”