Heskett Center offers students unique fitness opportunities

Nothing compares to that awful feeling you get when you walk into a weight room completely lost and outmatched. When it comes to student fitness and wellness, we all know where to go on campus to find some weights to lift, but the Heskett Center at Wichita State offers so much more than just a place that houses basketball courts and treadmills.

Who knew?

The Heskett Center gives WSU students opportunities to exercise in more ways than you might consider traditional. Classes are offered as part of the Shocker Fitness program. More than 20 classes are available throughout the week including Zumba, Yoga and water aerobics. Qualified instructors teach the classes.

More classes in areas such as Aqua cardio, Aqua tabata, Boot camp, Boot camp: TRX, Deep H2O, Pilates and Vinyasa flow yoga are on the schedule, too. You can attend all classes at your leisure for one price. To receive your Shocker Fit Pass go to the Heskett Center front desk, the cost is $40 for students, $60 for non-student members and $90 for non-members. A detailed schedule is available online on the Campus Recreation website.

As students we also have the option of personal training offered through the Heskett Center. It can be difficult enough getting in shape, but it can even more difficult staying that way. Your personal trainer will customize a workout plan just for you to help you stay on track.

There are multiple training packages you can choose, from varying from casual workouts to hardcore training in order to appease the gym rat in all of us. If you aren’t ready to commit to a trainer, Heskett offers a free one-time exercise orientation for WSU students that grants you basic knowledge of the machines in the weight room, cardio room and circuit room.

So if you’re not one for weights or running, the Heskett Center is still the place for you to relax. Aside from yoga classes, which many find relaxing, you can enjoy a Therapeutic Massage to get your relax on. Massages right before finals week could be just what your mind and body need in order to perform at your best. 

Many modalities to massages exist and the Heskett offers its students all types including Swedish, Deep tissue, Hot stone, Prenatal, Reflexology and Sport for pre- or post-game recovery. Prices vary on the time and modality of each massage, you can schedule an appointment by calling the Heskett Center front desk at 316-978-3082.

For the outdoorsman in each of us, you can rent camping equipment for a weekend of fun at extremely discounted margins. On that same wavelength, who goes camping just to sit in the woods? You can rent kayaks, horseshoes, softball and volleyball sets and big coolers for the perfect weekend away from school.

If you are one who prefers sports off the beaten path, then the Heskett Center offers sport clubs that could cater to you. Sports such as aikido, judo, cricket, ice hockey, karate, kenpo, quidditch, raquetball, soccer, table tennis, tennis, ultimate frisbee, wheelchair athletics and wrestling are all offered. 

Traditional offerings of Heskett include five convertible courts for basketball, volleyball, and badminton. There is a 200-meter track, racquetball courts, a climbing wall, grass playing fields and tennis courts. To further your interest in sport and recreation just walk in to the Heskett and start looking. There is something for everyone. The Heskett Center is open 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.  Saturday and Sunday.