Campus Recreation to host a 1.5 mile Rock the Shocker Walker Path

Fun and exercising are going to mix at Wichita State on Wednesday.

The event is called Rock the Shocker Walker Path. It starts at 4:24 p.m. and ends at 7 p.m. 

“The reason we are doing that is so it will start at 4:24 on 4/24,” Campus Recreation director Eric Maki said.

The event is a 1.5-mile fitness challenge that takes place around the Shocker Walker Path on campus. The event is open to 100 students on a  first-come, first-serve basis.

Maki said there will be various physical activities occurring along the path. Once the participants complete the event, they will be covered in different colors on their white shirts, similar to a color run.

Graduate student Karolina Mosa said about 45 students are currently registered with more being recruited. 

“This week we are going to the dorms and all the resident halls to make sure they [students] know about the event because they seem to be misinformed about it,” Mosa said. “They think it’s only for athletes. But it’s definitely for them and not for student athletes only, so we want to make sure they know all about the event.”

Mosa said she is most excited about the colors that will be tossed at participants during the events.

“It’s not gonna be as huge as a color run,” she said. “I’m excited to have the colors on campus.”

Maki, who became director last July, feels his first year as the director has gone smoothly. Not only is he looking forward to the Rock the Shocker Walker Path event next week, he is looking ahead to his second year.

“I look forward to getting a better feel for what activities our students and our campus community would like,” Maki said. “I’m looking forward to what the next year will bring for Campus Recreation.” 

Students are invited to register for the event at the Heskett Center until 6 p.m. Saturday. Registration is $10 per person, and the price is $7 for groups of four or more. The first 50 registrants will receive a white Shocker Walker T-shirt.