Track and field complete three-day Wilson Invitational, Wichita State claims seven events

Cheyanne Tull
Brady Palen, a junior high jumper, attempts to clear the high jump bar at the Herm Wilson Invitational. Palen won the event, jumping seven feet, one-half inch, three inches off his career high.

Wichita State track and field hosted its only indoor meet of the season at the Heskett Center over the weekend. The three-day Wilson Invitational saw the Shockers claim seven event wins. 

Junior high jumper Brady Palen, who placed seventh in the NCAA Indoor Championship last season, matched his season best from the Mark Colligan Memorial on Jan. 20 at 2.15m/7’0.75″. Palen managed to hold the tie for the American Athletic Conference lead in the event and took first. 

On the women’s side, junior Chidera Okoro claimed the win and had season-bests in the triple jump, 12.08m/39’7.5″ and 5.88m/19’3″in the long jump.

Senior Yuben Goncalves swept the competition with a season-best in the triple jump, 14.84m/48’8.25″.

Junior Creighton Camp won in the weight throw with his personal best of 16.27m/53’5″.  Junior Kylie Zimmer also claimed victory and set a season-best in the shot put, 14.46m/47’5.25″.

Junior Kenisa Meyer picked up her first career win in the 60-meter hurdles, running a 8.69 time, a personal best. 

In the final few races of the invitational, junior Adam Rzentkowski placed second in the 3,000-meter race with an 8:20.84 time. Freshman Josh Parrish came in second in the long jump, 7.07m/23’2.5″.

Wichita State entered less than half of the team for the meet, with many Shockers running as unattached members. 

Looking forward, Wichita State’s multi-event athletes will travel to Kansas State University for the Austra Skujyte Pentathlon and the Steve Fritz Heptathlon on Feb. 1 and 2. 

The remainder of the team will head to the Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational in Nebraska on Feb. 2 and 3.