Shockers react to pope’s resignation

Monday morning the world was surprised when they heard the news that Pope Benedict XVI would resign from his position as head of the Catholic church. Rev. John Hay, the pastor at St. Paul Parish and Newman Center at Wichita State, said that even clergy within the church were surprised.

“Nearly everyone, including cardinals and bishops, heard about it when they woke up this morning, just like me,” Hay said.

He went on to say that retiring as pope is a very rare event, with the last pope to resign under similar circumstances being Pope St. Celestine V in 1294.

Catholic students at WSU were equally surprised, but looked back on his tenure as pope favorably.

“I don’t think he let people down,” junior Christine Weixelman said. “I don’t think a lot of people could top Pope John Paul.”

Other students agreed, saying that Benedict had big shoes to fill, that of Pope John Paul II after his death. However, all agreed that he did a good job with what he had to deal with.

Students remarked on his previous work as an intellectual thinker within the church, arguing against the idea of relativism.

“This is a philosophical system that holds firmly there is no objective truth,” Hay said.

Sterling Spencer, a sophomore, said he hoped the next pope would be able to address the issues of our day.

“I hope for what Benedict hopes for. He wants someone who is strong of mind, body, and spirit,” he said.

Over the next few weeks Catholics will be practicing Lent, and during this time their thought and prayers will turn toward their Bishops and Cardinals as the next pope will be elected.