Strategic Development Committee dreams big for Wichita State

Wichita State students talk alongside members of the community at a Town Hall meeting on Tuesday in Ahlberg Hall.

In a lecture hall in Alhberg on Monday, a few students gathered to discuss a matter of no small importance. The students had come to voice what it is that they want for Wichita State University to do not just for them, but to make it one of the most competitive colleges in the Midwest.

The group hosting the event was the Strategic Planning Steering Student Sub-Committee, which is under the umbrella of the Strategic Planning Committee, which was soliciting students for their advice on what they want to see for the campus over the long term. 

The committee was put together by WSU President John Bardo to help bring forth new ideas. To help encourage this the committee has decided to avoid just asking them what they think and instead are reaching out to the entire community.

Michelle Scheer, a member of the sub-committee, told students that Bardo would hear their requests. “What would you recommend to President Bardo if he were standing here? What would you say to him?” Scheer said.

The meeting was intended to gauge student views on issues and to help tell the university where they feel they should focus. Their problem so far has been the small size of the groups in their input, but with several more meetings coming up the committee is hopeful to receive more input.

And those who have come have brought a wide range of things they think WSU needs to work on. Issues ranged from the common complaints of parking and few activities on campus to calls for more graduate programs and SAC working with more groups on campus.

Even though turnout was low this isn’t the end for the group. Scheer said they plan on continuing to ask students to continue sending them input on issues as the final report doesn’t go to Bardo till June. “Anything you guys need to say, let us know.”