OMA Ice Cream Kickoff promotes unity

Transfer student Veronica Luke came to Wichita State not only to get an education but also to get involved on campus.

She looked for opportunities to do so by attending the Multicultural Greek Council’s ice cream social with the Office of Multicultural Affairs, which was held Tuesday night.

“I just feel like you can’t go to college and not be involved, especially a college like Wichita State,” Luke said. “I feel like I would be going to school just to go to school. I feel I wouldn’t have a social life.”

Of the 17 organizations that participated in Tuesday’s event, Luke said she liked the Alpha Kappa Alpha organization the best because of its mentoring program.

However, as a pre-nursing student, she said she has not decided which organization to join and she needs to do more research. She wants one with good tutoring and networking opportunities.

Senior Brittany Carson, vice president of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., came to the event to promote the sorority.

“We hope to get our name out there,” Carson said. “We recruit differently. It’s a more personal connection.”

Gina Stewart, coordinator of fraternity and sorority life in Student Involvement, said the event was not just about promoting the organizations.

“We’re letting students know about all multicultural organizations and promoting diversity at WSU and getting involved,” Stewart said. “Anybody can get involved in the organizations.”

Another group represented at the event was the National Society of Black Engineers.

“We’re trying to promote a family setting and promoting engineering on campus,” sophomore Taylor Countee, NSBE secretary, said.

Junior Clinton Liddell, NSBE chair, said the group has 16 registered members and is trying to recruit 15 more.

Vice president of NSBE Tyrone Boswell said, “We have networking opportunities, and we’re trying to get a feeling of unity and engineering.”

Contact OMA for more information at 978-3034. Their office is located in Room 174 in the Grace Wilkie Annex.