Shockers stay at No. 6 in AP poll

Shockers+celebrate+during+the+second+half+of+the+game+against+UKMC+at+Koch+Arena.+
Shockers celebrate during the second half of the game against UKMC at Koch Arena.

Wichita State holds steady at No. 6 in the country after the second week of action in college basketball.

WSU (2-0) is No. 3 in KenPom and will play California in the first round of the Maui Jim Maui Invitational Monday at 4 P.M. (C/ST).

The Shockers received two votes for No. 3 and eight votes for No. 4 in Monday’s AP poll rankings.

Wichita State Shockers center Rauno Nurger makes a dunk against Newman during the charity exhibition game in Koch Arena.

Doug Doughty, who admitted to mistakingly rank the Shockers No. 15 in his ballot last week, placed WSU at No. 8 this week.

Notre Dame (3-0), a potential matchup with the Shockers should each team advance to the championship game of the Maui Jim Maui Invitational, is No. 13.

American Athletic Conference opponent Cincinnati (3-0) is No. 12 in the polls. Southern Methodist (2-0) and Temple (3-0) also received votes. Temple has three wins against teams ranked inside the top 100 of KenPom, all at neutral locations.

Baylor (3-0), who the Shockers play on Dec. 2, is No. 22.

Evan Pflugradt, Sports Editor

Evan Pflugradt is the Sports Editor of The Sunflower.

Pflugradt graduated from the Elliott School of Communication in spring 2017, and was recognized as the Elliott School’s Most Outstanding Journalism Graduate for the 2017 graduating class. Pflugradt graduated from Wichita State with a bachelor of arts in communication — journalism.

He has previously served as The Sunflower’s Editor-in-Chief, Opinion Editor, and Sports Editor. Additionally, he worked as a digital news intern for KMUW, NPR for Wichita.

Pflugradt transferred to Wichita State from Johnson County Community College in 2015.

Currently, he’s a second-year graduate student seeking a master’s degree from the Elliott School of Communication.