Letter to the Editor–Vera Bothner

Major universities have strong, student-run newspapers.

From what I’ve heard most people at WSU and in the community believe that. The question then becomes, how is it funded?

It’s the same question that student government associations at major universities debate for campus organization each year, including funding their own student government operations. The challenge can become that as part of their mission and job, these independent, student-run newspapers report on the activities of the student government associations and the university leaders who may determine future funding.

The question of how to fund The Sunflower has been the topic of many conversations both on and off campus. Because this issue is important to Wichita State and its long-term perception and recruitment, as a community volunteer and communication consulting professional, I proposed a solution to SGA at its budget hearing. I offered to volunteer my time to help forge a solution.

If the Sunflower is fully funded this year, I will help work with SGA, WSU administration and the Sunflower to design a solution to remove concerns or perceptions that any cuts this year, or any other year, are related to recent news coverage. As an example, K-State has a three-year funding cycle to help eliminate perceptions that additional funding is a reward for perceived favorable SGA and university coverage or that funding cuts are in response to perceived negative coverage. This is only one of many solutions I’m certain we could explore.

While I’ve heard several reasons for the recommended cuts to The Sunflower, some of those have been based on comparisons that should be more fully discussed. A concern of many in the communication profession is that the decision is being made without a full understanding of the market realities of the Wichita-area demographics and advertising sales.

I’ve volunteered for Wichita State University many times throughout my career because I believe in its importance for its current students and to our overall community and recruitment of future students. Decisions such as this have long-term implications and sometimes unintended consequences. The community cares, and I care enough to volunteer my time to work together to find a solution.

—Vera Bothner