Pflugradt: Vote like you mean it

Now’s the time to cast your ballot.

Elections for the next session of the Student Government Association open today and close at 5 p.m. Wednesday.

This year, the only ticket on the ballot is Revival, a campaign led by Kenon Brinkley and Shelby Rowell. If Revival is elected, Brinkley will lead the 61st session as the president, succeeding Student Body President Paige Hungate, and Rowell will lead the Senate, succeeding Student Body Vice President Breck Towner. Both Rowell and Brinkley are senators in the 60th Session.

However, if you’re not satisfied with the only option, that shouldn’t keep you from voting in this year’s SGA election.

You, as a student, elect representatives to speak your mind and be your voice during important decisions.

In the spring semester, the Senate votes on the student fees budget proposal, a $9 million-plus allocated budget. This decision alone determines how on average, over $700, of your money each semester is allocated. It’s your decision who makes the call on non-fixed-line items of this proposal are handled, and whether or not the proposal passes entirely.

Just because there’s only one ticket on the ballot, doesn’t mean your decision is any easier. It’s your responsibility to elect with confidence. If you’re not satisfied with the ticket, it’s your privilege to write in candidates who will speak your mind.

Don’t leave the ballot blank. Don’t forgo voting.

Vote like you mean it.

Last year, more than 19 percent (2,601 students) of WSU’s student body voted in the election for student government officials. That number increased from 12.6 percent the previous election cycle. Those elections each had two and three tickets, respectively.

This election cycle isn’t likely to gauge the same kind of results. Those numbers are likely to dip to low numbers of election’s past.

Put matters into your own hands.

Visit polling stations on campus to cast your ballot, or find the link to vote in your MyWSU email. Polls close at 5 p.m. Wednesday, with winners announced at 5:30 p.m.

With such large decisions at stake at a campus as ever-changing as Wichita State’s, student voices shouldn’t be the ones that grow silent. Educate yourself and let your voice be heard.

The field is wide open.