‘Free Teddy’ Snapchat filter on display at Koch Arena

Wichita State forward Teddy Allen takes photos of himself from media day on Oct. 16, 2018.

Tat Maichan

A Snapchat filter advocating for the NCAA to grant West Virginia transfer Teddy Allen eligibility this season is on display ahead of tonight’s season-opener in Koch Arena.

Students in Koch Arena discovered the filter Tuesday afternoon. The Shockers host Louisiana Tech Tuesday night at Koch Arena. Allen is still waiting on a decision for his hardship appeal.

Joseph Barringhaus
A Snapchat filter advocating for the NCAA to grant Teddy Allen eligibility is on display at Koch Arena.

Students were spotted wearing “Free Teddy” T-shirts at last Tuesday’s exhibition game.

Snapchat filters can be purchased for a specific radius and timeframe. Snapchat filters may be designated to public places, neighborhoods, or landmarks, according to Snapchat’s guidelines. Snapchat reserves the role to approve or deny submissions.

Snapchat assesses a fee to publish a filter. Pricing is dependent on Geofence location and size, and duration.

WSU submitted a hardship waiver request for Allen roughly a month ago. The waiver asks the NCAA for Allen, who transferred from West Virginia after one season, to forgo sitting out the mandated academic year for transfers.

Allen lost his mother to cancer the spring he signed with West Virginia. Part of Allen’s case is that Wichita is a five-hour drive to his support system in Boys Town, Nebraska. Proximity is a factor in the case of granting a hardship waiver.

WSU must demonstrate that Allen’s transfer was due to “documented mitigating circumstances … that directly impacts the health, safety or well-being of the student-athlete.”

—Marshall Sunner contributed to this story

Evan Pflugradt, Sports Editor

Evan Pflugradt is the Sports Editor of The Sunflower.

Pflugradt graduated from the Elliott School of Communication in spring 2017, and was recognized...

Joseph Barringhaus, Sports Photo Editor

Joseph Barringhaus is the Sports Photo Editor for The Sunflower. Barringhaus is a senior at Wichita State majoring in marketing with a minor in communications....