Sophomore libero earns conference honors

Wichita State's Giorgia Civita celebrates. Wichita State lost to Southern Methodist in three sets Sunday at Charles Koch Arena.

Evan Pflugradt

Evan Pflugradt

Evan Pflugradt

Sophomore libero Giorgia Civita has been named Libero of the Year by the American Athletic Conference.

Civita surpassed 1,000 career digs earlier this season and was the fastest in school history to get to that mark. On the season, she played in 117 sets and recorded 692 digs, all while only committing 22 receiving errors.

Khánh Nguyễn
Wichita State sophomore Giorgia Civita during the coin toss at the beginging of their game against Tulsa. The game was held on Wednesday evening at Koch Area.

She is the fourth Shocker to earn Libero of the Year honors.

Civita was also named first team all-conference by the American. Heading into the Shockers NIVC postseason opener, Civita already holds the school single-season record for digs in a year. During conference play, she recorded at least 20 digs in 14 of 18 conference matches.

On the season, Civita is averaging 5.91 digs per set. She’s only missed one set of play all season.

Joseph Barringhaus
Wichita State libero Giorgia Civita dives for a ball during their game against SMU on Nov. 11, 2018 at Koch Arena.

Marshall Sunner, Reporter

Marshall Sunner is a reporter for The Sunflower.

Sunner is a freshman at Wichita State.

Joseph Barringhaus, Sports Photo Editor

Joseph Barringhaus is the Sports Photo Editor for The Sunflower. Joseph is a senior at Wichita State majoring in marketing with a minor in communications....