Redshirts look to contribute for Shockers next season

Conversations about the Wichita State basketball team have been about the program’s future as the Baker-VanVleet era comes to an end.

Even with a huge contract extension and raise last offseason, Gregg Marshall’s future in Wichita is uncertain as he is likely to be courted by programs in bigger conferences in the next couple of months.

The Shockers have Markis McDuffie, Shaq Morris, Zach Brown and even a recently blooming Rashard Kelly in place for the next couple years. Conner Frankamp also has some promise looking forward.

The men no one is talking about are the redshirts. Brett Barney is a lengthy freshman from Wichita. Peyton Allen is a 6-foot-5-inch sophomore guard who came to Wichita from College Station after a brief career at Texas A&M.

Landry Shamet rounds out the redshirts after solid playing time at the beginning of the season after Fred VanVleet’s injury. Shamet undoubtedly has the rawest talent of any of these three players.

He will begin the 2016-17 season as a redshirt freshman and looks to contribute in many ways for WSU in the coming years. He is steady for a young player. He also has the ability to shoot the ball from deep to go with his explosiveness off the dribble.

Shamet has a great chance to become a double-digit per-game scorer in his redshirt freshman season. He is likely to be a future star.

Barney is a player who surprisingly wasn’t recruited more heavily out of high school. The Wichita native played with a great court sense in his minimal time in exhibition play earlier this season.

Barney has a solid ability to shoot the jumper. He should see a lot of playing time by his sophomore season and could contribute significantly if he isn’t already as a freshman. Barney has great length as he has already displayed nice versatility, which Marshall loves in his players.

Allen averaged just more than five points per game as a freshman at Texas A&M. He didn’t fit in great with the program, so he looked to Wichita State which has developed several transfers from JUCO and Division I schools into great players in the past.

The Shockers will benefit greatly from Allen’s presence next season. He may not be a high scorer right off the bat, but he has a great ability to shoot from long range. Allen’s shooting should take some pressure off Frankamp to make big shots.

Allen and Frankamp should be a nice tandem on the outside — as Allen most likely playing on the second unit, but seeing solid minutes.

Wichita State looks strong at guard in the years to come and these redshirts should be a key contributor to that. Baker was a redshirt four years ago for the Shockers. While no one is necessarily expecting Shamet, Allen or Barney to be the next Baker, Shocker fans should have hope looking forward.