New royalty crowned to cap-off homecoming week

Wichita State has a new queen and king.

Though the men’s basketball fell to Northern Iowa on Saturday, seniors Tim Eichler and Whitney Wilson won king and queen for this year’s homecoming royalty.

“I didn’t expect it at all,” Eichler said. “I didn’t think that I was homecoming-worthy, so it’s just very cool to have won. I had an awesome partner to walk out with. I had a lot of fun experiences this week and it was just a lot of fun to be apart of homecoming this year.”

Eichler is majoring in aerospace engineering and is a passionate Kansas City Royals fan. His favorite place on campus is the Heskett Center.

Wilson is majoring in dental hygiene. She said she hopes to work for an oral health nonprofit organization that provides and advocates for access to care for high-risk populations.

“I’m very excited and very honored to be here with the rest of the delegates,” Wilson said after the crowning. “They’re all great individuals and I could definitely say they were all just as much deserving.” 

Other WSU students Dalton Glasscock, Michael Schultz, Ben Varenhorst, Brittany de Hoyos, Ashlyn Funston and Maha Madi were also in the running for homecoming king and queen. Last week was homecoming week at WSU, with a full schedule of campus events, ending with the crowning of the king and queen.

Other homecoming festivites last week included a talent show, Shocker spirit day, a watch party at Shocker Sports Grill and Lanes, a pancake feed and a Nearly Naked Run where students dressed down for a chilly run outside Eck Stadium Friday night.