Cricket rivalry gives international students a taste of home

The Pakistani Student Association hosted a watch party Saturday morning for students to watch the Pakistan vs. India cricket game.

On the morning of the last home basketball game, members of the Pakistani Students Association (PSA) focused on another sport Saturday — cricket.  

PSA hosted its first cricket watch party in the CAC Theater at Wichita State and streamed Pakistan and India’s match live.

Mohsin Naqvi, or “Moss” as most people call him, is the secretary for public relations for the group, and said it brought a large turnout.

“There’s not a big Pakistani population here at Wichita State, but the ratio for today is about one to three [Pakistanis to Indians]. My expectation was to have 50 people and right now we have over a 100,” he said.

Both teams met in the fourth match of the ACC Asia Cup on Saturday, which started at 7:30 p.m. in Dhaka, Bangladesh — requiring students to wake up early to watch at 7:30 a.m. The two countries have been rivals since gaining independence from the British crown in 1947.

In a close match, India won by five wickets.

Naqvi said some cricket matches can take three to five days to finish after playing for six hours each day, but Saturday’s match took only three hours.

If the tournament championship match turns into a final of both teams, Naqvi said another watch party will be organized.

Aside from the comedic advertisements, the match was sort of like “their Super Bowl,” as Naqvi called it.

“People in Pakistan and India usually have watch parties if the match is not being played in their homeland, but otherwise they would have to go to a stadium to watch it,” Naqvi said. “Mostly in Pakistan and India they have lots of big screens with thousands of people attending.”

Since India won the match, it was not unusual to see the Indians jokingly taunt the Pakistanis.

But not everyone at the watch party was an avid cricket fan.

Amber Shabbir, a member of the PSA, said she came for the entertainment and to relax with her friends.

“It’s a good thing when people can come together and watch their teams play,” she said.