#BringGameDaytoWichita class continues push for engagement

Mike Ross, Sport Public Relations class instructor, lectures students Monday. The class launched a social media campaign last year pushing for ESPN to host its College GameDay at Charles Koch Arena.

Wichita State’s Sport Public Relations class likes to prove people wrong.

Last year, the class launched a campaign to get ESPN’s College GameDay to Wichita during the 2013-14 men’s basketball season. Class instructor Mike Ross decided to repeat the assignment again this semester, using the hashtag “#BringGameDaytoWichita” on social media platforms.

Twitter users let the students have it.

“They said we wouldn’t be able to get it here,” senior Scott Nill said. “I don’t think any of the other schools are running a campaign like this.

“It paid off.”

After the Athletic Department confirmed over the weekend that GameDay would make its first appearance on Saturday at Charles Koch Arena, the class had a reason to celebrate this week.

“Give yourselves a round of a applause,” Ross said to the class Monday morning.

About 25 students are enrolled in the Sports Public Relations class, a course offered through WSU’s Sports Management Department. At the beginning of the semester, they were divided up into groups based on strengths and weaknesses.

Junior Lauren Davis took on the responsibility of making promotional signs.

“It’s so important to get your message out and have visual aids so people can see what you’re trying to do,” Davis said. “We made the hashtag signs, which have been a huge success. We’ve had them at several businesses and all around campus and at games.”

Each week, the groups rotate responsibilities for popular social media platforms, which include Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Vine. Through the process, Blake Elliott said he’s learned how to balance his fandom with the project.

“Yeah I’m a student, I’m a fan of the Shockers,” he said, “but right now I’m working for the Shockers to spread awareness.”

It’s a skill Elliott said he’s now applied to other projects outside of class. After graduation, he said he’s interested in the business aspect of sports.

“We haven’t done an official assignment, but with all of this, I feel like I’ve learned more than I ever have in any other Sports Management class.”

Meanwhile, Davis is more interested in sports PR or marketing after graduation, so this project is right up her alley, she said.

“I just love the interaction with people and just the fascination of what you can really do for a brand … through these social platforms,” she said. “The engagement, how you can build rapport with your fan base — that’s definitely something I want to do.”

GameDay is here. But the work isn’t over yet.

“Now we gotta get people there,” Ross said. “It’s one thing to bring GameDay here, now it’s a totally different thing to get people in Wichita and surrounding areas there. So that’s going to be the new focus.”

Students will continue to post on social media, encouraging fans to come to the game on Saturday with the new hashtag, “#GameDayInWichita.” Ross has reached out to ESPN to arrange a behind-the-scenes tour of the GameDay production.

“I think it’s going to be crazy,” Davis said of the upcoming game. “Wichita as a community and the Wichita State student body — they love this basketball team … It’s a good opportunity to showcase our university and all we have to offer.”