Sports in brief, Dec. 3

Women’s golf signs Gavrilla Ayra

Gavrilla Ayra signed her national letter-of-intent to play golf for Wichita State University.

“Gavrilla is a really solid player,” head coach Tom McCurdy said in a WSU news release. “She has a tremendous amount of good international experience and she has played against the best. She understands what it takes to succeed at the collegiate level and she has a great work ethic.”

Ayra is originally from Jakarta, Indonesia, and is a two-time winner of the Indonesian National Junior Golf Championship.

WSU volleyball signs four

Wichita State volleyball signed four players in the early signing period.

Meghan Grimes, a senior at Maize High School, is a 5-foot-8 libero who recorded 398 digs, 19 assists and 55 service aces this season.

Alex Koon, a senior at Warhill High School in Williamsburg, Va., is a 6-foot-3 outside hitter. She recorded 337 kills, 262 digs, 60 aces and 34 blocks.

Six-foot-one outside hitter Emily Panchak from Wilmington, Del., had 162 kills, 35 aces and 109 digs at Concord High School this year.

High school senior Jordan Roberts is a 5-foot-10 setter from Corpus Christi, Texas who had over 1,200 assists, 200 digs, 100 kills, 130 aces and 60 blocks this season. Roberts was named the South Texas Setter of the Year and named to the All-South Texas team as a junior.

Tickets available for men’s basketball game Saturday

As of Monday afternoon, 750 tickets were still available for the Shockers men’s basketball game against Saint Louis at Intrust Bank Arena Saturday evening.

Tickets can be purchased through the Intrust Bank Arena box office by calling 855-755-SEAT (7328) or online at selectaseat.com.