SGA hears from sexual assault group, passes resolution

In light of the national “It’s On Us” campaign to raise awareness of sexual assault, and due to the assult in Fairmount Park on Nov. 14, the Student Government Association heard from a group looking to prevent sexual assault at Wichita State Wednesday.

The group is the Community Psychology Association. Members from the new group shared their plan for making WSU a leader in sexual assault prevention and awareness.

Leaders Jessica Drum and Dan Clifford addressed the Senate and gave their plan for the next year.

“We want to create a supportive model that is a strengths-based approach toward preventing sexual assault,” Clifford said, stating the group’s goal. “We can become a model for the rest of the country.”

The group has three teams — research, action and engagement — that will work to achieve this goal.

During the spring semester and into the summer, they will conduct research and reach out to organizations and departments to gain support.

The group plans to compile their findings by fall 2015 and begin intervention at WSU.

Later in the meeting, SGA passed a resolution in support of the group’s work, which passed unanimously.

SGA completed officer and committee reports and then finished the rest of the business.

An amendment to the Legislative Journal passed. It further outlined the roles of the newly created position of Chief of Staff.  

SGA appointed At-Large Senator Tyler Gegen to the library committee. Chief of Staff Dalton Glasscock was appointed to the traffic policy committee.

Phi Kappa Phi fraternity was recognized as a student organization.

Finally, the Senate passed a funding bill that allocated $2,532.90 for the purchase of office furniture and a desktop computer for new Student Advocate Amber Sevart.