Shockers run-rule Creighton on Saturday

Morgan Anderson

Junior Erin McDonald winds up for a pitch during the game against Cowley Community College on Monday.

The Shockers went 2-0 in their home opener against Creighton University on Saturday, Feb. 27th for their three game series. The Shockers run ruled Creighton in both games. In the first game, the Shockers beat Creighton 14-1. The second game followed with a 13-3 score. 

“I thought we had some really great at bats,” Head Coach Kristi Bredbenner said. “I thought at the beginning of game two we were a little too picky and I thought that was why we hit so well in game one. Anything I thought looked like a strike in game one we went after a little bit more in game one and then after that [game two] second inning we really did a great job at making some adjustments to have that big third ten run inning.” 

In game one, junior pitcher Erin McDonald allowed only two runs on seven hits, and got six strikeouts in five innings played. 

The Shockers started ahead at the bottom of the 4th, with four runs scored. Two of those runs came from junior first baseman Neleigh Herring, and senior center fielder Bailee Nickerson. The Shockers followed that scoring momentum in the 2nd with runs scored off of a walk from senior shortstop Kaylee Huecker, and a single from freshman right fielder Bailey Urban. Freshman second baseman Addison Barnard hit her first home run of the day in the second as well. 

In the bottom of the 4th, the Shockers earned three more runs from Urban, an RBI single from sophomore third baseman Sydney McKinney, and sophomore designated Hitter Lauren Mills. The Shockers ended that game with a home run from freshman Jessica Garcia. 

The rest of the game remained scoreless for the Shockers. Creighton scored only two runs this game with one each in the 4th and 5th. 

In game two, the first inning remained scoreless. Creighton started ahead with two runs scored in the 2nd. However, the Shockers responded with 10 runs earned in the 3rd.  Five of those runs came from home runs in the inning. Barnard continued to rack up more runs on the day when she scored three home runs in this inning, and had five RBI’s. 

Another notable performance came from senior catcher Madison Perrigan who hit two home runs in the third inning. Perrigan now has 39 total career home runs which ties the school record. 

Mills also scored a home run this inning. More runs were scored in this inning from McKinney, Nickerson, freshman Infielder Lauren Lucas, and senior Third Baseman Ryleigh Buck. Creighton had one run earned in the 3rd.

“I made some adjustments to my swing and just really tried to focus on laying that ball good deep and seeing it all the way in, and saw some good things from it,” Perrigan said. “I try to stay away from stats. I try to honestly just base my hitting off of how I feel.” If I feel like I’m hitting the ball hard and it was a line drive straight to the shortstop or wherever it goes, I’m happy with it because I hit it hard.”

The Shockers scored three more runs in the 4th. One of those runs came off of a home run from Buck. The rest of the game remained scoreless.  Senior pitcher Bailey Lange struck out five batters, and allowed only three runs with one run earned, in five innings for the Shockers. 

The Shockers will play their last game of this series on Sunday, February 28th.