Campus gets surprise hugs from stylists

Students were met with warm embraces throughout campus as students from Paul Mitchell gave out free hugs. The group was out celebrating Free Hug Day as part of their desire to reach out to the community.

Students leaving class from Barton were surprised to find an unusual sight outside the building.

Outside the tall stone walls was a group holding signs offering free hugs and they meant it.

One of the people participating in the event, Erica Inis, said they were doing this as part of their cosmetology school’s work to reach out to the community.

“Today’s national free hugs day,” Inis said. “They’re really involved in the community and we like to give back to our community.”

Kim Lea, another member of the group, said they were there as part of Paul Mitchell The School’s outreach program.

Their mission though wasn’t to try and promote the name Paul Mitchell, but something much simpler.

“Anyone having a bad day, were here to brighten it,” Lea said.

The group of students went around campus offering up hugs to whoever was willing accept them.

Members of the group varied in their backgrounds. Some were fresh out of high school while others had graduated college but changed their mind on their career choice.

But hugs aren’t the only work the Paul Mitchell students do for the community.

“Right now we are supporting breast cancer awareness, so we are selling pink products,” Lea said. “So a portion of the proceeds goes back to breast cancer awareness. We also have 11 different charities that we cater to.”