LTTE: Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened

Mia Hennen

SGA President John Kirk speaks to a student at the Senate meeting on Dec. 7, the group’s final meeting of the Fall 2022 semester.

For the past five years here at Wichita State, I have done many things and learned from so many different students, staff, and faculty. One of the biggest things that I have learned while being a student here is to never stop trying.

There were many times that I wanted to give up and throw my hands in the air and drop out, but I always had someone pushing me to remind me that it’s never okay to stop trying.

My fiancé Kourtnee Cude, my brother Matthew Harkins, and my Fraternity Phi Beta Sigma fraternity Inc. along with many other people always reminded me that hard times come, but regardless of anything, they were always there for me.

Everybody walks a different path and somebody else, and nobody can walk somebody else’s road, and I would never change my experiences from the past to altar, where I am today.

My time at WSU has given me the opportunity to meet government officials, recruit, meet my amazing fiancé, sing concerts in states around Kansas, and serve as the 116th student body president of Wichita State.

Every person that starts their journey as a freshman, regardless of your age at Wichita State, has the ability to write an amazing story, because you are the author of your book.

I’m so thankful for everything that everyone has done for me at this university, and I can’t wait to start my graduate degree in the fall.

Final thing I would leave you with a quote from Dr. Seuss that says “don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”

This is goodbye for now, but this is not farewell! I love this University and everyone in it, and I hope that you always shoot for excellence and do exactly what your heart calls you to do!