Wichita SHRM to hold annual golf tournament in June 2013

Amanda Kreutzer a senior at WSU speaks about SHRM on campus.

It is never too soon to start planning for a charitable golf tournament.

The Society of Human Resource Management professional organization is hosting its fifth annual golf tournament next summer, but planning has started early. Students in Management 463 (Building Effective Work Teams) have grouped together to create a planning committee in preparation for the event. 

The tournament is put on every year by Wichita SHRM to bring in donations for the organization as well as a scholarship to be awarded to a WSU student each year. The Wichita SHRM Scholarship Fund is a nonprofit organization.  

Wichita State has a student organization SHRM, whose goal is to help HR and management students’ transition into young professionals and obtain the skills necessary to work in the business world. They also encourage students to network within the community, which is one of the reasons senior Amanda Kreutzer feels the organization is so important.  

“The scholarship that we are getting donations for, for silent auctions, goodie bags and monetary donations goes toward a Wichita local area student majoring in HR,” Kreutzer said. “They need to be a junior or senior, undergraduate or graduate student with a demonstrated intent of working as an HR official.”

All the money raised for the golf-tournament goes directly into the scholarship fund and is not distributed into other resources, she said. 

This is Kreutzer’s second year on the tournament planning committee. She is currently enrolled in Management 463. As a member of SHRM, she believes it is a great opportunity to help the organization prepare for its large-scale event. Seniors Lauren Conner, Sydney Blanton and Marcus Scarboro are helping Kreutze.

“The more [Amanda] sold it, the more I was interested in being involved,” Blanton said. “I thought it was a good program.” 

The group’s deadline is the end of the semester.

“We have been working within the class since the first week of September,” Kreutzer said. “We’ve been gathering donations and contacting businesses.”

So far, they have raised more than $2000 worth of items for the tournament and are always looking for more donations. Kreutzer also encourages any current HR major to get involved with WSU SHRM so that they may build their professional connections before graduation.

The golf tournament will be held June 10, 2013 and the organization has room for 18 teams to sign up. To sign up a team or give a donation for the cause, contact Amanda Kreutzer at [email protected]