Starting year off right: Campus Recreation trainers weigh in on the probability of New Year’s goals

Whether it is financial stability or losing weight, January is the month of New Year’s resolutions and the grind of sticking to them. Research shows it is a numbers game when it comes to making and keeping resolutions. Those who make New Year’s resolutions are 10 times more likely to attain the goals they set than people who don’t, according to the Journal of Clinical Psychology from the University of Scranton.

Even so, not everyone makes New Year’s resolutions despite their statistical success. In fact, only 45 percent of Americans set goals before the new year starts. An even staggering 38 percent have never made New Year’s resolutions.

“Setting goals is a great way to challenge yourself and start something new,” said Andy Sykes, health and facilities coordinator for Campus Recreation at Wichita State. “You just have to want it every day you wake up. You can’t allow yourself to say no.”

Age also plays a factor in the success rate. Those in their 20s who set goals are 39 percent more likely to see their goals through, where only 14 percent of goal-setters over the age of 50 actually attain their resolutions.

Now, let’s talk about January and how you’re stacking up against the numbers. If you have stuck to your resolutions through the first week, you are among the 75 percent of Americans who make it that far. If February comes along and you are still going strong, you are with 64 percent of Americans who are also taking it month to month.

After six months is where the research starts to record the greatest decrease in commitment. Only 46 percent of us are enjoying those summer workout sessions.

By this time, those who are still sticking to their resolutions have built a routine.

“How much work you put in is what you are going to get out,” said Carol Gibbon, health and fitness education intern for Campus Recreation at WSU. “I know it is said a lot, but it is true.”

Looking for ways to stay the course? Gibbon is also leading the way for this year’s Recreation Revolution at the Heskett Center.

Starting Feb. 2, Recreation Revolution will kick off its six-week, boot-camp style campaign. Enrollment is $40 for newcomers or $35 for returners, and participants get a dri-fit shirt and a regiment designed to keep you on track with your fitness goals.

If saving money is another New Year’s resolution you have committed to, the Heskett Center also has Shocker Fit. It’s free for current students and offers classes like ab blast, Zumba and total body tone. Contact the Heskett Center for more information at 978-3082.

New Year’s statistics

Top 10 resolutions

• Lose weight
  • Get organized
  • Spend less, save more
  • Enjoy life to the fullest
  • Stay fit and healthy
  • Learn something exciting
  • Quit smoking
  • Help others in their dreams
  • Fall in love
  • Spend more time with family

Resolution success rate

75%    Make it through the first week

71%    Make it past two weeks

64%    Make it past one month

46%    Make it past six months

Age success rate

39%   of people in their 20’s achieve their resolutions each year

14%   of people over the age of 50 achieve their resolutions each year