Documentary to get encore screening

The+Sunflower

“Out Here in Kansas,” a documentary that explores the relationship between gay people and Christianity, is getting an encore screening in Wichita.

The film was screened at Roxy’s Downtown, 412 1/2 E. Douglas, last month and will be screened again Saturday. Doors open at 6 p.m.

Tickets may be purchased in advance by calling 316-265-4400. Advance tickets are $5. Tickets may also be purchased at the door for $8.

Food and drinks will be available at Roxy’s during the screening.

Attendees will also get a chance to talk with the filmmakers, including writer/director Adam Knapp, a Wichita State graduate of 1993. The film focuses on two articles Knapp wrote as a journalist at The Wichita Eagle and Andover American, written several years apart, about Burt Humburg, an All-American football player who came out as gay. The film explores the relationship between Humburg and his pastor, Joe Wright, who helped make gay marriage illegal in Kansas in 2005.

TJ Rigg, Reporter/Copy Editor

TJ Rigg has worked for The Sunflower since August 2012, when he started as a general assignment reporter. Eventually, he added additional responsibilities of copy editing stories and taking photos for assignments before being named Editor-in-Chief in March 2014. He served in the position for a year before resuming his responsibilities as a reporter and copy editor. Under his leadership, The Sunflower earned the All-Kansas award at the 2015 Kansas Collegiate Media conference. The award is the highest level award a newspaper staff can receive at the conference. In addition to The Sunflower, he was written stories for other publications including The Butler County Times Gazette, Andover American, Flint Hills Media Project and more. Rigg also works for KWCH 12 Eyewitness News, the CBS-affiliate in Wichita, as an associate producer. He helps other producers with their shows by writing stories, building graphics, editing video, etc. He also fills in and produces shows as needed and contributes to the station website and social media pages. After college, he plans to continue his work with Eyewitness News as a news producer, with the ultimate goal of producing the 10 p.m. weeknight newscast.