Teri Hall named new Vice President of Student Affairs

Teri Hall has been named the new Vice President of Student Affairs at Wichita State, according to a release by the university.

Since January 2005, she has served as associate vice president for Campus Life at Towson University in Maryland. Before, from 1998 to 2005, she served as the assistant vice president of Student Involvement and Transitions, interim assistant vice president for Student Diversity, and director of Student Activities at Towson.

Her term begins Jan. 8.

Hall replaces Eric Sexton, who resigned on June 16.

“She is the best fit of the three candidates that we brought to campus,” Provost and Senior Vice President Anthony Vizzini said. “I actually went out and visited with Teri Hall last week [in Maryland] to see her with the people that provided references, and I talked to some of them personally to be sure that we had the right choice.

“She’s connected to folks, has the ability to build relationships, and Towson University has gone through a lot of the changes that we’re about to go through, so she has experienced it,” Vizzini said.

Between the work of Vizzini, University President John Bardo and a committee of 14 campus representatives, the applicant pool was reduced to six, whom the committee had Skype interviews with, and then three finalists were brought to Wichita for interviews.

“The committee decided that she had a great mix of student affairs experience and real passion for the work of improving students’ quality of life while they are on campus,” said Lou Heldman, Vice President for Strategic Communications. “One of the things that really impressed me was that she seemed to get a real joy from the job of working with students and helping them become well-rounded students.”

In the announcement in Shocker Blast, Hall said she felt at home from her first interactions at WSU.

“The students, faculty and staff that I met confirmed that WSU is a special place,” Hall said in a statement. “To say that I am thrilled by the opportunity to join the Wichita State University family is an understatement. The campus is alive with energy and potential. I look forward to working closely with students and staff to enhance the student experience.”