Shepard: ‘I want to give the administration an opportunity to respond to these demands’

Student body president Joseph Shepard addresses the crowd during the open forum portion of the student fees hearing. (Mar. 1, 2017)

Student Body President Joseph Shepard explained his reasoning at Wednesday’s SGA meeting for not yet signing the vote of no confidence passed by the Student Senate before spring break.

“Although the vote of no confidence did pass, I have decided personally not to sign it at this time,” Shepard said. “That does not mean I do not support the cause of We the Students, but rather I want to give the administration an opportunity to respond to these demands.”

Shepard cited university President John Bardo’s absence from campus as part of his hesitation to sign the resolution.

“I do recognize the fact that our president of the university is out of town and I want to be mindful of that,” Shepard said.

“Perception is everything, and unfortunately a lot of the perception has been that this SGA administration is not willing to work with the university administration when that’s not true at all,” Shepard said. “I’m giving the administration an opportunity to sit down at the table and have a conversation with us so we can work together to propel our university forward.”

Shepard said he did worry about an open line of communication between SGA and the university administration.

According to Shepard, student leaders have worked hard to bridge the gap between SGA and the university administration, but have faced a lack of transparency hindering their ability to run meetings effectively.

Ultimately, Shepard said the tension on campus between students and WSU officials merits a concerted effort to come together and work for the good of the university.

“I want students to understand that at this point in time, given the climate of our campus, and the climate of the student body, we really need to show those who are opposed to the reasoning behind demanding immediate action that we are willing to collaborate with the administration.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Shepard: ‘I want to give the administration an opportunity to respond to these demands’”

1. Real Shocker on March 31st, 2017 7:41 am

Joseph,

Bardo wouldn’t introduce you at the Board of Regents meeting in 2015 when you were elected. That was the high point of how he has treated you since your were elected. They are not going to sit at the table and have a conversation with you about moving forward. Your ideas represent students and theirs represent a developer on Innovation Campus. Bardo is so concerned about the climate that he took the month of March off and might do some listening sessions later in April. You have done an amazing job given how you have been treated. Most people will never understand what you have experienced, but those that do really admire your resilience and courage.

[Reply]

2. Shocker Til Death on March 31st, 2017 5:01 pm

It doesn’t matter if he signs it. He is a lame duck and impotent in this situation. Sign it, don’t sign it. It really doesn’t matter at this point.

[Reply]

• Shepard: ‘I want to give the administration an opportunity to respond to these demands’

Wichitans gather to stand in solidarity with Charlottesville

YMCA partnership moves forward on ‘good faith’ without agreement

• Arts & Culture

Rundstrom relishes time at WSU, accepts position at Savannah College of Art and Design

Arts & Culture

Art show rallies community around refugees

WSU’s late-inning surge seals series win over Evansville

Lewis’ three-hit gem propels WSU to victory over Evansville

Student Government Association

How Student Senate voted on the student fee increase for YMCA, athletics, wellness center

Graduation Guide

WSU challenge coins — Vizzini’s gift to seniors

Student Government Association

SGA approves student fee, green lights YMCA partnership

Shockers top Illinois State in waterlogged slugfest