Student reports knife, pistol magazines, and ammo found in backpack on move-in day

Wichita State’s weapons policy was allegedly violated in an incident that occurred at Shocker Hall on move-in day, Aug. 19th.

Captain Corey Herl of the University Police Department said the incident was unrelated to Wichita State’s concealed carry policy, which was enacted on July 1st.

In an email, Herl addressed the incident.

“(I)t did not involve a firearm nor was there a threat to the safety of the university community,” Herl said. “At this point it was a first day, move-in, minor matter that involved a misunderstanding and unawareness of the policy on move in day that was handled without incident.”

A freshman male — listed on the offense report as the individual who alerted the WSUPD — shared his recollection of the incident in an email.

“I was assisting with move-in day and we couldn’t find the student who the stuff we were moving belonged to so we opened a pocket on his backpack and found a Knife and some pistol mags along with some ammo,” the email said.

“I believe the only violation he actually received was for the Knife but the rest was deemed okay.”

Herl said he could not disclose additional information about the incident because of the nature of the violation.

“It’s not a criminal case, it’s a university policy case, and our information gets turned over to like, Student Conduct,” Herl said.

He went on to say that, under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, he was unsure of how much information he could share, but that no one on campus was threatened.

“There was not an ongoing threat — that, I can disclose at this point.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Student reports knife, pistol magazines, and ammo found in backpack on move-in day”

1. I don't understand on September 6th, 2017 11:28 pm

Matthew, can you please look further into this case with WSU PD? I would like to know more than these vague answers that Corey Herl gives. Can you please look further into this as they “investigate”?

[Reply]

• Student reports knife, pistol magazines, and ammo found in backpack on move-in day

Hartman: ‘Kansas is nothing more than a big business’

Bearth replaces Corrieri as SGA veteran senator

Special delivery: Pizza Hut cofounder visits campus for building relocation

Sculpture defacing detracts from dialogue

Suspicious notes allegedly left for Shocker Hall residents

Consistency is key in student affairs

Politics

Brewer hopes time as Wichita mayor helps bid for governorship

Kelly: Parking permits — the commuter student fee

Politics

Former Wichita mayor and high school student among those vying for governorship

Wichitans gather to stand in solidarity with Charlottesville