Freshman takes leadership role in SGA

Joseph Barringhaus

Elle Kabler serves as the chair of the newly-formed Safety and Student Services Committee.

It wasn’t long after freshman human resource management major Elle Kabler’s appointment to the Student Senate that she found herself serving as the chair of the newly-formed Safety and Student Services Committee.

SGA approved Kabler as an at-large senator on Aug. 30. Less than a month later, she was chosen to lead one of SGA’s six committees.

Kabler said her unique perspective as a human resources student has prepared her well for her new position because her major helps her stay “realistic, organized, and social.”

“It’s a great balance,” Kabler said. “And my major complements my SGA roles immensely well.”

Kabler said she is prepared to step up as a leader and hopes to work with the university to create events that raise awareness for sexual assault and mental health issues.

“I joined Student Government Association to make the campus safer and provide students with new resources and opportunities,” Kabler said.

Kabler — who said she has a passion for helping others — also serves on Wichita State’s Community Service Board and is a member of Gamma Phi Beta.

After Wichita State, Kabler said she hopes to find a job as a human resources manager for a large corporation and work her way up to the head of the department.