Here’s when Panda Express opens at Wichita State

Construction crew members install paneling for Panda Express. Panda Express will open early next week in the Rhatigan Student Center.

Evan Pflugradt

Evan Pflugradt

Panda Express may open as early as next week.

Kevin Konda, associate vice president of student affairs auxiliaries, said construction crews are putting the final touches on the retailer. Panda Express is set to open Wednesday. That date could change, as crews transform the former space of Sono, a Chartwells vendor that closed at the end of the spring semester.

“From the beginning of our time — since the announcement on July 1 — we’ve been pushing for the start of school,” Konda said. “We’re very optimistic that we’re going to get it done.”

Konda said progress on Panda Express is ahead of schedule.

Freddy’s Frozen Custard and Steakburgers, which will also open in the Rhatigan Student Center, is expected to open Aug. 20 — the first day of the fall semester.

The RSC’s Board of Directors — an 18-person group made up of half students — recommended Panda Express to Chartwells, the university’s food contractor, last year. Chartwells Manager Matt Pray said that Panda Express is a long-term option for the RSC.

“We’re in it for the long haul,” Pray said.

About the Photographer
Evan Pflugradt, Sports Editor
Evan Pflugradt is the Sports Editor of The Sunflower. Pflugradt graduated from the Elliott School of Communication in spring 2017, and was recognized as the Elliott School’s Most Outstanding Journalism Graduate for the 2017 graduating class. Pflugradt graduated from Wichita State with a bachelor of arts in communication — journalism. He has previously served as...