News briefs — Sept. 6

File+graphic+

File graphic

WSU Foundation breaks its fundraising record

The WSU Foundation raised a record-breaking $66.6 million in private donations for the 2018 fiscal year, which is $10 million more than the old record.

The total includes the largest donation in WSU’s history, a $12 million gift from Wayne Woolsey, a Wichita oil producer, and his wife, Kay. Most of that donation will go toward the building of a new home for the Barton School of Business.

McConnell partnership to offer bachelor’s degree education on-base to military members

A partnership between WSU and McConnell Air Force Base will provide military members an opportunity to work toward their bachelor’s degree on base starting this fall.

Anyone with a military ID will be able to take courses toward seven undergraduate degrees — general business, management, information technology and management information systems, engineering technology/cybersecurity, psychology, sociology, and workplace leadership and applied learning.

The programs will be offered in 8-week and traditional-length courses. Military students will have the option to use the Tuition Assistance program offered by McConnell’s Education Office.

Butler and Wichita State sign transfer agreement for business students

WSU and Butler Community College signed an agreement to allow the seamless transition of business graduates from Butler to WSU.

The agreement ensures that Butler classes would transfer directly into WSU’s business administration program.

Engineering dean candidates coming to campus

Four candidates for dean of the College of Engineering will visit WSU’s campus over the next four weeks. Each candidate will host a public forum.

Below is the schedule for the candidates’ open forums. All open forums will be held at 3:30 p.m. in 107 Devlin Hall.

Candidate No. 1 — Sept. 10 and Sept. 11

Candidate No. 2 — Sept. 13 and Sept. 14

Candidate No. 3 — Sept. 25 and Sept. 26

Candidate No. 4 — Oct. 1 and Oct. 2

WSU Police to offer self-defense training

The WSU police department will offer self-defense training through a program called Rape Aggression Defense Systems (RAD).

The training will include “defense against abduction, learning risk awareness, reduction, recognition and avoidance,” according to a university press release.

Faculty and staff can sign up through myTrainings, WSU’s online portal for training programs.

Learn to swim at the Heskett Center

Wichita Aqua Shocks will host private and group swim lessons for all age groups at the Heskett Center throughout the fall semester.

WSU students can get eight group lessons for $60. Private lessons start at $22 for students. Sessions are already underway.

Visit wichita.edu/campusrec to register for swim lessons.