SGA delays resolution recommending diversity training for faculty, staff

A resolution recommending mandatory diversity training for Wichita State faculty and staff received its first read Wednesday night during Student Government Association’s meeting.

The resolution was tabled for one week after a short debate. It will get a second read, debate and a vote at the meeting April 20. The resolution was delayed in part because some senators said they wanted to do more research about the resolution.

“I do believe that our senators are going to go back, they’re going to take this week, they’re going to do more research, they’re going to get more information, so that next week when we see this resolution presented again, it’s going to be presented even stronger than it was today,” Student Body President Joseph Shepard said.

The resolution states SGA calls on the university to implement mandatory diversity programs similar to those at universities such as Brooklyn College and Washington University.

According to the resolution, those programs “engage the campus and community and meaningful dialogues,” and use “language, examples, sociocultural contexts and images that reflect human diversity within lectures,” among other items.

The resolution comes after campus issues chairmen Taben Azad conducted a survey with some international students about aspects of campus.

“There were several issues they were facing with the professors that I noticed, a lot of integration issues with just the background here on campus,” Azad said.

Sixty-four international students took Azad’s survey. Among its findings, the international students say professors don’t understand international students’ accents and “few faculty and staff members are warm and friendly” to international students.

After the survey, the diversity task force conducted research about international students and issues they face on campus. Based on the research, the resolution was written to implement mandatory diversity training for WSU faculty and staff.

“I’m glad they made a point that there are universities that are doing a great job,” Azad said. “I think it’s a great collection of facts and data, and an encouragement of what should happen next on campus.”

Before the resolution was tabled, Sen. Hayley Ensz spoke in favor of the resolution. She said she understands how international students can feel overwhelmed in a large place such as WSU. She spoke about her first few days as a freshman earlier this year.

“I just broke down at the beginning of the year because I didn’t know what I was doing,” Ensz said. “Thinking about if I had a serious disability or something coming into college would be extremely difficult, and I really think this resolution is important.”

Shepard said diversity is often a hot-button topic, not just at WSU, but across the country.

“It’s not just the role of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion to spread diversity and inclusion,” he said. “It’s the role of every single individual on this campus.”