Student organization offers more volunteer opportunities

A new volunteer opportunity, organized by the Wichita State Community Service Board (CSB), gives students a chance to help the homeless and those who live in poverty.

About 10 students from CSB volunteered at the Lord’s Diner in downtown Wichita for Wednesday’s at the Diner — a night to help serve food, refill drinks, clean up and perform other duties once a month.

“The Lord’s Diner has a great mission and I truly love working here,” dining hall manager, Clarissa Yarnall said.

Yarnall assigns duties to volunteers. She was a social worker for 15 years before working for at the Lord’s Diner to help make a change in the community in a more hands-on way.

CSB is broken up into four different cause committees: food and hunger, poverty and homelessness, health and youth and education. Each semester, every committee organizes its own event at a certain organization in the community.

“The cause committees were designed for people to follow their individual passion,” said CSB President, Carol Gibbon.

Gibbon, a WSU senior, said that CSB started last year and had to add more events due to its increased popularity. This is the groups third time at the Lord’s Diner.

“Students wanted more opportunities to give back,” she said.

The Lord’s Diner has been an institution in Wichita for the last 14 years serving dinner to anyone needing a nutritious meal and are 365 days a year including holidays. Their mission is to recognize Christ, to love one another and to share life by breaking bread together.

Andrew Hohman, a senior and the poverty and homelessness chair for CSB, said he wanted to give back in the community.

“All of the volunteers have a lot of fun here,” he said.

Junior Bailey Bahner volunteers at many charities throughout Wichita in her spare time. Wednesday was her first time at the Lord’s Diner.

“I saw Wednesdays at the Diner on Shocker Blast and wanted to give it a try,” she said.

“It is definitely an eye opener volunteering here and makes you very grateful,” junior social work major, Olivia Balderas said. “It is a very rewarding feeling being able to help those in need in our local community.”

Anyone interested in participating with CSB can submit their email online at wichita.edu/CSB to receive updates and weekly opportunities.