Four arrested in connection to last week’s shooting at popular WSU party venue

A shooting occurred at Cortez Mexican Restaurant, a popular party venue for Wichita State students, a little after midnight last Sunday.

Four teenagers, aged 18, 17, 16, and 15, were arrested in connection to the shooting, Wichita Police Officer Charley Davidson said in an email to The Sunflower. The shooting is still under investigation.

All four teenagers were booked for aggravated battery, destruction to automobiles, and criminal possession of a firearm by a juvenile. The 18-year-old man, identified on jail arrest records as Felton T. Williams, faces a marijuana charge.

Three handguns were confiscated, one of which was reported stolen.

According to media reports, a 21-year-old man showed up to an area hospital hours after the shooting with a hip injury. He was at the restaurant at the time of the shooting and was treated and released. It is not known if the man was a WSU student.

Four cars were damaged in the shooting and a bullet hit the exterior wall of the restaurant, resulting in over $6,000 worth of damage.

According to the front page of the incident report obtained by The Sunflower, the shooting was not gang related.

Kylie Cameron, Advertising Manager

Kylie Cameron is a junior studying Political Science and Journalism and is currently serving as the Advertising Manager. Cameron is from Overland Park,...