Film produced by fine arts students, faculty to be screened

Director Bret Jones discusses the next scene with actress Rian Leigh in September in the Rhatigan Student Center. The film “Redux” will get four screenings Feb. 1 – 4.

A girl undergoing experimental treatment for schizophrenia has to solve the murder of her friend.

That is the premise of “Redux,” a feature-length film starring a handful of Wichita State fine arts students and written and directed by Bret Jones, program director of theater at Wichita State.

Jones penned the script last spring, and the movie was filmed over a period of six weeks in the fall. Editing took place in the weeks following.

“We had to do some dialogue replacement,” Jones said. “Some of the recording of the dialogue was drowned out by wind. You get that in Kansas. And then I went through and did color correction and editing.”

“Redux” will be screened at 7:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the Campus Activities Center (CAC)Theater at WSU.

A challenge during production of the film, Jones said, was the dialogue replacement, in which the actors have to rerecord their lines while they watched video of the scene. Dialogue replacement allows the recording of audio and video to synchronize. Jones said dialogue replacement is common in most Hollywood films.

“I had someone last summer that’s associated with the industry that told me that about 80 percent of what you see in any film or show is dialogue replacement,” he said. “I did not know that myself.”

Despite any challenges, Jones said he was pleased with the filming process.

“I was just pleased with the whole process from beginning to end, even if we had a frustrating situation,” he said. “It was still very fulfilling and exciting for all of us because it was something new, and it was still demanding of our attention and creativity and our effort and our work.”

Senior Allison Claye — who played Naomi, a friend of the main character, Lorraine — said the experience of being in a film was different from doing a main stage show.

“The performance aspect is much more intimate,” she said. “It’s much more compacted than it is on a big stage. I kind of like that. I think it’s more realistic.”

Jones said the film is entertaining, but the audience will have to pay attention during all of the screening in order to follow the story.

“You have to pay attention because there’s some things that you really have to try and figure out for yourself because there are some plot points that are not completely spelled out,” he said. “It’s a very entertaining story.”

If you go:

‘Redux’ screening

When: 7:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday

Where: CAC Theater

Tickets are free for WSU students with Shocker ID; general admission is $10; military/senior citizens/faculty $8; non-WSU students $6

Rated PG