Students craft, sell holiday cards to support their future

Graphic art students at Wichita State are bringing holiday cheer to campus and raising money for a conference in Dallas.  

For the second year in a row, graphic arts students in the School of Art, Design and Creative Industries and students in the American Institute of Graphic Arts have created and sold holiday cards, which were sold at the craft fair last week and are available on their website.

“I joined [AIGA] to be involved in the local design community and to grow personally and professionally,” said AIGA President Lauren Osoba, a senior in graphic design at Wichita State. “At first I was really intimidated by the art community, but now it has become one of my favorite parts about design.”

Before the cards were sold, the group displayed all of their work at the Looking Glass gallery in the Rhatigan Student Center.

Now the organization is raising money to attend a conference in Dallas. Each year, graphic art students are required to go to a conference to learn and listen to professionals and participate in workshops and competitions.

“My son designed one of the cards, and I wanted to help support the group,” said Lucy Graeff of financial operations, who bought cards last week. “Since the students are required to go to Dallas, I figured this would be a great way to support him and get some great Christmas cards.”

Although it is too soon to tell how well the fundraising is going, Osoba said she believes the sales have increased since last year.

“The cards were actually circulated in a news flash sent around financial operations, and that’s how I found out about it, so we tried to pass the memo around,” Graeff said.

The craft fair this year was advertised more widely, which attracted more students to their booth.

“I read about [the craft fair] through an email so I decided to go check it out,” senior Brittney Stever said. “I’m really glad I did because I didn’t realize how many talented students we had on campus. Some of the student booths had amazing work, and I loved the holiday cards because of the inclusion.”

A diverse selection of holiday cards were on display from Christmas and Hanukah cards, to cards with grumpy cat, Darth Vader, pugs and Iron Man.

AIGA’s cards are on sale online throughout the holiday season, and most cards cost $2, or 10 cards for $15. In its effort to raise money for the trip, the students also hope to raise money to bring more speakers and artists to teach the student workshops at WSU.

“It’s great to meet people who have similar interests as you,” Osoba said. “All of the professionals we have ever met have been so willing to help us, and there is a sense of camaraderie that I’m not sure occurs in other professions, so I really like that.”

To purchase a card, go to wichita.edu/aiga.  For cash purchases or questions, contact [email protected].