Famous musician’s piano on display this week, free for students to play

The historic Model D Horowitz piano will be on display Monday and Tuesday in Miller Concert Hall.  Viewers can schedule times to touch, play and photograph the piano at no cost.

Wichita State students can play on a large, famous piano this week.

The 9-foot grand piano, given to Russian-born American Vladimir Horowitz and his wife Wanda in the early 1940s, will be on display Monday and Tuesday in Miller Concert Hall inside the Duerksen Fine Arts Center. Horowitz was one of the most influential and talented pianists of the 20th century, and the piano has become the most well-traveled piano in history, having been everywhere from Moscow to Canada, to various regions of the United States.

Students interested in looking at, photographing and even playing the piano can contact Harry Reed at 913-663-4756 to schedule a time to see it free of charge.

Wichita State showcases the piano courtesy of Schmitt Music Co., Kansas City Steinway Dealer.

The Model D Horowitz, also known as CD 503, is a 1943 Steinway Concert Grand Piano. It is said to have a sound that is unparalleled to any other piano from its time — or otherwise — offering a rich sound that reflects Horowitz’s character.

All students are encouraged to take part in the event that allows music lovers and educated musicians to experience a piece of history.