Empty Bowls Chili Cook-Off feeds campus, community

After spending a six-hour day making, glazing and firing hundreds of ceramic bowls last month at Wichita State, students, faculty, staff and community members are finally able to put them to use.

The Build-A-Bowl Workshop was the first part of the Empty Bowls project, which ended with a Chili Cook-Off on Saturday at Henrion Hall.

Whether attendees went to find a new ceramic treasure or to support the Kansas Food Bank, everyone was out and involved in the WSU art community.

Under the direction of Brenda Lichman, WSU lecturer in ceramics, the Ceramics Guild partnered with the Ulrich Museum of Art, the WSU Hunger Awareness Initiative and the Kansas Food Bank in order to raise awareness of hunger in Wichita and of the arts.

“Brenda came to us with this idea last year and it sounded like a great idea,” said Brian Walker, CEO of the Kansas Food Bank. “She has so much energy, and the students she works with seem so energized and committed to the problem of hunger, so it’s a no-brainer for us to be involved.”

Patrons chose a bowl then taste-tested about 30 different types of chili from Erbert & Gerbert’s Sandwich Shop, Tanya’s Soup Kitchen and different groups on and off campus.

“I helped make the Ceramics Guild chili,” graduate student Laura Nave said. “I got involved because I like cooking, and I think this is a fantastic cause. I’m having a blast helping out and I love supporting the cause and teaching people about ceramics.”

A panel of judges tasted each chili and declared a winner. WSU President John Bardo was one of the judges.  

“I think that seeing everyone out is the best part,” Bardo said. “The chili is always fun, but seeing everyone do something that relates to the future of humanity is the best. This is all about how to help people who don’t have enough food and how do we help people understand the nature of hunger. This is a good cause, it’s a fun time and it’s great to see faculty, students and the community coming to enjoy the event.”

The activity also showed that hunger is not an abstract idea, Lichman said.

All proceeds will be donated to the Kansas Food Bank.

“Not only do the funds help us out, but the awareness that it creates,” Walker said. “If the people here today are here just to buy a bowl, they still have an awareness of hunger and the hunger that exists in our community.”