Panhellenic recruitment week ends with bid day

Kappa Gamma sorority sisters welcome their new members during bid day Monday outside the Rhatigan Student Center. The reveal celebration wrapped up a week of Panhellenic recruitment.

Parades of chanting sorority sisters, some even riding inflatable dolphins, arrived Monday in front of the Rhatigan Student Center.

Many sisters carried unique props with Greek letters representing their sorority, and each of the five Panhellenic chapters were in color-coordinated shirts. The different groups broke into a huddle of jumping and cheers representing their sorority, almost resembling a pre-game football huddle.

“There are tons of pictures, dancing, food, games and plenty of hugs and smiles to go around,” freshman Kindyl Krueger said.

Krueger was one of 180 potential new members who completed a week of recruitment events that started Sept. 9 and ended Monday with bid day. After a week of learning each of the sororities’ values and traditions, they were each named into their new home Monday.

Krueger said the first night, activities night, was the most relaxed night of the week. She became acquainted with other potential new members and a recruitment counselor, and then through an activity discovered how her own values matched with a chapter she might want to join.

Next was a night of house touring.

“Each chapter had their own way of greeting each group of girls,” Krueger said. “[They] all had a catchy tune with words unique to their chapter. It was rather impressive.”

Krueger said each recruitment group learned about the philanthropies each chapter supports and the values each chapter stands for Friday and Saturday night.

Preference night was Sunday. Krueger said it was the most important night because it occurs the night before a new member decides which chapter they will pledge with.

“[Preference night] is my favorite because women find what is truly important to them in a chapter and are most times making one of the biggest decisions on their very own thus far in their lives,” said Emry Woelk, president of Panhellenic Council.

Bid day signals the end of recruitment week, and for Krueger, it came with great expectations.

“The anticipation for this day really is all it is made out to be,” said Krueger, who was selected as a new member of Alpha Phi. “It’s better than Christmas because you have to eagerly wait to see if your chapter chose you back. There’s screaming, hugging, dancing, singing and so much more that happens on this day.”

After the recruitment committee revealed their respective chapters to the new members, each chapter went back to their house, except for junior Lauren McGuire’s sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma (KKG).

McGuire said the chapter makes up for not having a sorority house by showing its new members how rich and diverse their sisterhood is. After bid day, KKG increased its initial membership from 35 to 71 members, and McGuire said she was excited about the new opportunities increased membership offers.

“These women are looking for a place to call home and we are able … to help them determine where they would best be able to thrive,” McGuire said. “I love when a woman states that she has found her home.”