Academics Committee to start brainstorming ideas to serve students

Student Body President Joseph Shepard said several students have come to Wichita State’s Student Government Association with concerns about the plus/minus grading system the university uses.

It’s concerns such as these that will be addressed by the newly formed academics committee, which was created earlier this semester when SGA approved its creation.

Junior Dalton Glasscock serves as the chairman for the committee, and he met with Shepard and Student Body Vice President Khondoker Usama on Wednesday to discuss ideas for the committee.

Glasscock said the main goal is to invest SGA in academics.

“ We’re looking for systematic ways to enhance communication and enhance the Shocker experience throughout the whole way,” he said.

Another goal, he said, is to engage specific college SGA senators with each of their respective colleges.

“In the past, they’ve just always been an at-large senator,” he said. “We want to figure out a way to make the situation unique and have that connection with their deans, have that connection with their students and department chairs so everybody in the school knows that they represent that specific college at all times.”

Glasscock said the committee will compile ideas until mid-October, and then start prioritizing each idea.

Shepard said it is important to get students involved in academic discussions.

“My goal is to cultivate and shape a relationship with the deans so they can see that the students care about their academic education,” he said.

The committee will have to move quickly, Shepard said, because it is slightly behind the other SGA committees, since it was created just a few weeks ago.

Glasscock, however, is confident the committee will reach its goals on time.

“I don’t not meet goals,” he said.