Wichita native Calamity Cubes! sound off at Art for Your Ears

The Calamity Cubes! began as a local band in Wichita eight years ago.

Now, the band tours the nation exposing music lovers to their original sound, which the band describes as “Thrashicana” on its Facebook page.

“They’re a mix of country, and bluegrass, and maybe even a little bit of rock,” sophomore Kayla Greer said. “Their sound is really unique.”

The Calamity Cubes! performed Tuesday evening on the south lawn of Wilner Auditorium for an audience of toddlers, students, parents and grandparents. It was the last concert of the year for the “Art for Your Ears” concert series sponsored by the Ulrich Museum of Art at Wichita State.

Together, band members Brook Blanche, Kody Oh, Joey Henry and Billy Cook create an original sound that often stuns new listeners.  

“When [Blanche] started singing it made me jump a little because his voice was so deep,” freshman Alexis Woods said. “He was an awesome singer. He had a lot of soul.”

It is not just the brassy singing that attracts their audience, but the distinctive sounds of acoustic guitar, banjo and upright bass, Woods said.

“There was one song where the guy on the bass started going crazy and getting really into it,” she said. “Me and my roommate looked at each other really shocked. We loved that part.”

Unlike the other Art for Your Ears concerts, this performance took place during the fall semester, so more students attended.

“I’ve never been to [a Calamity Cubes! concert] but I really like the Avett Brothers and they’re in the same genre, so I thought I’d enjoy it,” sophomore Leslie Strunk said.

The band’s success is often attributed to its unique sound. Even listeners who don’t normally like country music have admitted to being intrigued by the sound of The Calamity Cubes!.

“I was pleasantly surprised by their performance,” Greer said. “They were really good and they didn’t sound like every other country band on the radio today.”