Repairs to start this month at 21st, Oliver lot

Wichita State students started parking at the 21st and Oliver lot in order to escape the stress of trying to find an open parking spot on campus. As a result, business owners have become frustrated at the condition of the lot.

Ellen Abbey, director of Auxiliary Services for Administration and Finance, said WSU plans to begin repairs on that lot soon.

“We expect the repairs to begin sometime this month,” she said. “The businesses requested the repairs be made.”

Students who park at this lot have noticed its need for renovation.

“It’s been very difficult to park here,” graduate student Vinay Karagod said. “The first semester when I came here it was OK. We had a lot of parking spaces. Recently, it is hard to park here and it’s very bumpy and the roads are bad.”

Abbey estimated the repairs to cost about $15,000, and it will come from the “parking fund.”

She also stressed the importance of parking in the designated spots after the repairs are finished.

“The management group that runs the property has been concerned about WSU shuttle riders parking in front of businesses that need customer parking,” Abbey said. “Shuttle riders should only park in designated parking areas that have black signs with yellow lettering.”

Some students agree that these repairs are timely, especially with bad weather coming soon.

“When it rains it is very difficult to get around,” Karagod said. “The bus stops in front of one of the potholes so it is hard for us to get in the bus because it fills with water. I am glad they are doing renovations.”

Abbey, along with Lou Heldman, vice president for Strategic Communications, reminded students about other places to park if they do not wish to park on campus.

“Start in the low-demand lots further away and save yourself the trouble,” Heldman said. “In addition, go back and forth to [the] free shuttle lot at 29th and Oliver.”