SGA plans to recruit first-time students

Student Body President Joseph Shepard said the university needs to look for ways to recruit more low-income, first generation minority students.

In the weekly meeting of Wichita State’s Student Government Association on Wednesday, Shepard said he will meet with campus administration and with WSU students, faculty and staff to discuss ways of recruiting those students.

First generation students refer to incoming college students whose parents did not attend college.

As a first generation, low-income minority student himself, Shepard said he knows firsthand how difficult it can be for those prospective students to be educated about college.

“Oftentimes, individuals who come from these communities don’t have the tools and resources in order to reach higher education,” he said.

Shepard added that as WSU looks to be more diverse, it should explore ways of recruiting these students.

“Low-income students, although they are low-income, are still smart, they are intelligent,” he said. “They are some of the most innovative people in our society today.”

Shepard said he did not think much about college until his sophomore or junior year of high school. In reality, he said, students should start to think about college as early as middle school.

The meeting with campus administration to discuss ideas for recruiting low-income, first generation minority students is scheduled for Oct. 8, Shepard said. Provost and Senior Vice President Tony Vizzini will lead the discussion. A location has not yet been determined.

SGA will meet at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in room 265 of the Rhatigan Student Center.