Moving dance performance to cover campus

Wichita State dance students Brooke Johnston and Gavin Meyers rehearse choreographed routines for “Brave New World” April 2. 

For some, the thought of theatre may involve sitting in a chair, watching a show for long periods of time — traditional theatre.

However, at Wichita State, the theatre is not going to be in one set place but, rather, moving around campus.

“Brave New World,” a production from the WSU School of Performing Arts Dance Program, is going to be performing throughout campus beginning at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday.

Based upon Aldous Huxley’s 1932 novel “Brave New World,” the moving production will be performing in four places on campus: the Heskett Center pool, the courtyard outside Hubbard Hall, inside the Rhatigan Student Center and finishing in the Shocker Hall courtyard.

“It is an alternative of going into a traditional theatre, with lots of ambient elements,” said Denise Celestin, professor of dance. “We are trying to break boundaries and make people understand that theatre does not have boundaries.”

The show, based around interaction between a homogenous, conformed society and an outsider who threatens the construct of the society, follows the path of society, depending on the class they are born into — Alphas, Betas or Gammas. 

Starting in the pool as a sterile birthing center, the show promises to fuse society with individuals that are drastically different from each other.

“It is … about a conformist society, how people are affected by outsiders of the society — whether they were changed or not — and the effect they have on others,” Celestin said.

As the show works to incorporate technology, multimedia, dance and theatre, the show incorporates elements that are unlike traditional theatre. 

The show also incorporates extensive choreography from different instructors and the dancers are not simply playing the part of their character — they are taking on the identity of them.

“You have to be into a character,” Celestin said. “You have to explore a characterization.”

Free seating for WSU students is limited to 190 for Thursday night only. Friday and Saturday will be ticketed performances, with only paid tickets available. Tickets are $10 for general admission, $8 for seniors, faculty and military members and $6 for children and students.

For more information on the show or ticketing information, call the box office at 978-3233.