Project RunAway: Run toward new mediums

Wichita State art students will host its eighth annual Project RunAway  at 7 p.m. Friday at McKnight Art Center to raise funds for the off-campus student gallery, SHIFTSPACE.  

As the title of the event suggests, one can expect a fashion show upon arrival. This fashion might be a little different from what you expect, however. 

“Ours is not fashion-based,” said Lisa Rundstrom, the SHIFTSPACE gallery director and a new media instructor at WSU. “Ours is really based around art form … and wearing your art form.”

Three celebrity judges will decide an overall winner, and a winner of each category. The winner of the “Best in Show” category will receive a $250 cash prize and a solo exhibition at SHIFTSPACE in the fall. The winner of each individual category will receive a $50 cash prize and an opportunity to be a part of a group exhibition (together) in the fall at SHIFTSPACE.

“I think students are becoming quite aware of this idea of art as activism,” Rundstrom said.  She said she encourages students to look at art as an opportunity to speak to the community about important topics. Yes, a picture can be pretty, but it can also send a message.  

Isabel Lopez, a senior studying graphic design, put a great deal of work into the show, as well.

“I wanted to create mutable, multifaceted figures to compliment the dynamic nature of the show,” Lopez said about the features of the advertisements she created.

The graphic art created for the poster advertisements directly relates to the overall feel of the event to take place. She worked tirelessly to accomplish this goal and help bring continuity to the event this year.

This year there is more room for spectator participation, as well. Audience members are encouraged to dress up and participate.  

“Get excited and be creative,” Rundstrom said.

Student-made masks are available for purchase on the first floor, though there is not a specific dress code. 

Catered food will be provided on the second floor. An art advocates fundraiser will take place on the third floor of the event. The funds raised will go toward purchase of kilns for the department  

Six entertainers will entertain the crowd in between each round, vendors will sell items to attendees and a photo booth will be available.  

Although the event doesn’t start until 7 p.m., the party starts at 6 p.m. DJ Logan will be at the McKnight building an hour before the performance art pieces take to the catwalk. There will also be fire dancers outside the building.

Tickets are available now at SHIFTSPACEGallery.com. The cost is $20 for general admission tickets, $30 for floor seating and $10 for WSU students, faculty and staff.