Ad Astra offers communication students advertising experience

Students in the Elliott School of Communication often get hands-on experience in preparation for work in communication, and a new advertising class offers just that.

Ad Astra Communication Agency is more than a class that offers general knowledge on communication and advertising. Ad Astra provides students with real-world experience, said Lisa Parcell, Ad Astra professor and director of graduate studies in the Elliott School.

The 10 students in Ad Astra meet on Mondays and Wednesdays, and will receive three credit hours for the course, but classwork involves working in teams to assist local clients with their advertising endeavors.

“Some work on editing video or creating design work, others write copy and others make phone calls or send emails to get information we need,” Parcell said.

Ad Astra started a few years ago as a club, but this spring it is being offered as a class in preparation for needs of the future Innovation Campus, Parcell said.

“We’re just laying the groundwork for the class,” senior Jennifer Liss said. “They’re trying to get planned still, so they’re working on jobs for us to do.

Ad Astra projects include creating promotional materials for the 15th anniversary of Heather’s camp, writing a newsletter for the Fairmount Neighborhood Association, working on fundraising materials for the WSU History Department’s “History Today” video series, and helping create posters and fliers for the “Major Difference” campaign with the School of Community Affairs and the Political Science department.

Working in the class has allowed Liss to generate her own portfolio pieces as she does copy writing for different clients such as Heather’s Camp and the Fairmount Neighborhood Association. Recently, Liss said she got two interviews for potential jobs she wanted, and she attributed the opportunities to her work in Ad Astra.

“I really think it’s a valuable class for any communication student to take,” she said.

Senior Tyler Pennick said he is hopeful for the future of the class.

“One day people will get paid to be video director or there will possibly be paid positions,” he said. “We’re working out some kinks right now and getting things together.”

A video created to promote the class features University President John Bardo giving credit to the class.

The video, titled “Ad Astra, it’s your creative,” can be found on the Elliott School’s Vimeo account. Search “Elliott School of Communication” to find the account on Vimeo.  

“Ad Astra gives us another great example of applied learning that increases the quality of education,” Bardo said in the video, “and makes a Wichita State graduate something special.”