Political Science Club finds peak in interest

Few people analyze what’s going on in politics anymore, said Mel Kahn, a professor of political science.

“We need more people who present occurrences based on factual knowledge rather than just trying to persuade people to a certain point of view,” Kahn said.

That’s the idea that moves Wichita State’s Political Science Club, a group that has seen a surge in attendance for its weekly political discussion event, “Times Talks.”

Traditionally, the club has had around 10 people participating in its political roundtables, but lately that number has jumped up to 15 to 20 people, and occasionally 30.

“People are becoming more aware of what’s going on,” said TC Edwards, a junior studying political science. “People see that current events and politics are becoming daily events in their lives, and we provide a great place for them to air their opinions or learn more about what’s going on.”

The Political Science Club was founded by the WSU Political Science Department to expand student knowledge of and participation in politics at the local, state and national levels. Club members meet to discuss domestic and international political issues and events. They host educational events including speakers, voter education campaigns and political debates, giving students a place to socialize and interact with others who share their interests.

The big draw, however, is Times Talks.

“It started in an interesting way,” Kahn said. “The New York Times itself agreed to give us money — for food, originally — if we would organize something around reading their paper, and since I assign the topics in my classes anyway, that became an incentive.”

The discussion group formed three years ago and has been going strong ever since. Edwards, the group’s president, posts topics and hyperlinks to articles ahead of time so that participants can arrive informed.

That analysis of facts is an important factor for Kahn, who is concerned the U.S. is becoming a nation of nonreaders. Even at the college level, he said, most people get their information from blog articles, entertainment figures or 140-character summaries, and that we’re become a people who doesn’t know what we’re talking about.

“A lot of what passes for education is just rote feedback,” Kahn said. “Being able to articulate and get educated through opinions outside yourself and be challenged by opinions that are different from yours is a very important part of the education system.”

The group is not for any particular political leaning, but for anyone who’s interested in the political process or world events.

“We have Republicans, we have Democrats, we have Libertarians, we have — well, he’s never come out and said he’s an anarchist, but basically he’s an anarchist,” Edwards said. “I myself am a Democratic Socialist. We have all kinds of political leanings, even unaffiliated and people who really are not sure where they stand.”

Edwards described their meetings as not heated, but enthusiastic.

“We’ve never actually argued,” he said. “We’re not shouting, we’ve never gotten into any fist fights. We keep things civil. I’m very proud to say we’ve managed to maintain a civil and inclusive atmosphere.”

According to Ciboski’s recent commentary on Wichita Public Radio station KMUW, a 2008 survey revealed that Americans with a college degree score only 13 points higher in civic literacy than those with a high school diploma. Elected officials scored even lower than the general public. He even gave the exam to one of his political science classes at Wichita State.

“Four of them knew that James Madison is the ‘father’ of our Constitution,” Ciboski said, “and only seven knew that the phrase ‘Government of the people, by the people, for the people’ is from Lincoln’s Gettysburg address.

“Five students did not know that our Constitution established the division of powers between the states and the federal government. All of the students knew of rapper Snoop Dogg, and 17 of the 19 were familiar with cartoon characters Beavis and Butthead.”

Kahn said the Political Science Club is a good place to start learning about civics.

“One of the things I like about Times Talks is that we not only have a core of political science students, but we have a great diversity,” Kahn said. “One of the constant students, in terms of his presence, is an engineering student. He’s very bright and brings a different perspective. Getting a good mix of viewpoints is beneficial to all.”

For students who may be less interested in politics, Edwards has some advice.

“Even if you’re unsure, the best way to learn is to listen,” he said. “It can be very intimidating to be in a room with a lot of smart, opinionated people, but it doesn’t have to be. If there’s one thing I want students to take away from our meetings it’s that this is a place where they can come and learn. Come and get informed about whatever issue you’re interested in.”

“We’re here to learn from each other as much as to discuss.”

For more information about the Political Science Club or “Times Talks,” contact Edwards at [email protected].