News in brief, Feb. 9

Date Night on a Dime: Valentine’s Day Edition

The Office of Student Money Management is hosting “Date Night on a Dime: Valentine’s Day Edition” on Tuesday.

It takes place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first floor of the Rhatigan Student Center.

Students can create homemade Valentine’s Day cards and learn how to celebrate without breaking the bank. Valentine’s Day is Saturday.

The event is open to the Wichita State community.

For more information, call 978-3254.

Diversity Issue of the Sunflower to release Wednesday

A new special issue for the Sunflower this year is Wednesday’s Diversity Issue.

This special issue replaces the former February special, the Love and Sex Guide. The Diversity Issue will include stories about diversity on campus, including new gender-neutral bathrooms, upcoming events hosted by the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and a feature story on vegan and vegetarian students on campus.

Be sure and grab a copy of the issue on newsstands Wednesday. The next special issue to print will be the Baseball and Softball Guide out on March 11.

ODI hosting Great Blacks in Wax

The Office of Diversity and Inclusion will host “Great Blacks in Wax” Thursday as part of Black History Month.

The event takes place from 11 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. in room 208 of the Rhatigan Student Center.

African American figures from the past and present will be featured in wax. Attendees will get to learn about the accomplishments of those people featured at the event.

For more information, call 978-3034.

Mary Ruefle to read poetry for ‘Writing Now, Reading Now’

Poet Mary Ruefle will read some of her poetry as part of the Creative Writing program’s “Writing Now, Reading Now” series on Thursday.

A reception at 5:30 p.m. will precede the poetry reading, which is at 6 in the Ulrich Museum of Art.

Ruefle has published 11 collections of poetry and has received several awards and honors for her work. She graduated from Bennington College in 1974 with a degree in literature. Ruefle resides in Vermont and teaches in the MFA program at Vermont College of Fine Arts and is a visiting professor at the University of Iowa Writers’ Workshop.

The reading is open to the WSU Community.

For more information, call 978-6462.