S.W.A.T. promotes safe sex with condom flowers

Cardboard paper cutouts in the shape of flowers taped to a popsicle stick. Inside the cardboard flower? Condoms.

Walking through the Rhatigan Student Center yesterday, students and faculty could pick up free condom flowers from the Student Wellness Action Team (S.W.A.T.), a student organization that aims to promote health and wellness on the Wichita State campus.

“We’re promoting safe sex,” said Lakynn Butler, a member of S.W.A.T. “We’re making sure people know the dangers of unprotected sex.”

Each flower has a different saying and health fact on it. For example, “Don’t be a fool, wrap your tool” and “Cover your stump before you hump.”

“[We used] flowers because of Valentine’s Day,” S.W.A.T. president Terry Giang said. “Valentine’s is usually a flower deal. A flower is unique,” when it comes to condoms.

A flower was also used to get past the embarrassment about getting condoms, said Marissa Orloske, another member of S.W.A.T.

With the flowers and condoms came a pamphlet on how to use a condom. It also came with a dating bill of rights and a list on how to be a friend to a victim of partner abuse.

The student organization has put on other events in coordination with Student Health, providing STD and HIV tests.

S.W.A.T. is hosting its third annual Big Pink Volleyball tournament at 2 p.m. Feb. 21 in the Heskett Center gym.

All proceeds are donated to Victory in the Valley and Early Detection Works.

For registration forms and more information, visit the Student Health website at wichita.edu/shs.

S.W.A.T. has weekly meetings at 3 p.m. each Thursdays in room 209 of Ahlberg Hall.