Students volunteer at Union Rescue Mission

About a mile north of the Wichita State campus sits the Union Rescue Mission, a Christian-based homeless shelter for men.

From above, the shelter looks like a large “X.” Before the weekend, the shelter’s lot was littered with trash and the small building on the corner of 27th and Holyoke was filled with an array of men’s clothing, disorganized and disheveled.

At least not until nearly 20 WSU students, visited the Union Rescue Mission as part of the monthly Service in the City effort. Organized by the Community Service Board, student volunteers picked up trash on the premises and organized piles of men’s clothes.

“They don’t have enough people, so they really rely on volunteers to help out with odds and ends,” Senior Carol Gibbon said.

Gibbon, programming chair of the CSB, said the purpose of the project was to “revitalize the program in whatever ways they need help.”

Charity Heizer, volunteer coordinator at the URM, said the organization has “life-changing” programs that assist the homeless men by providing job training, assistance to those struggling with drug addiction or just a place to stay the night.

The URM also provides community outreach through diaper and formula services and meal distribution. Last year, an average of 140 men slept in the emergency homeless shelter every night, according to the program’s 2014 service data.

These programs are made possible because of private donations and volunteer assistance, Heizer said.

Organizing volunteer events like the one Saturday is tough, Gibbon said, because many students have busy schedules.

Freshman Uriel Granados said he missed several service events last semester because of a conflict with classes. Yet, Granados said he thought the CSB would be a good fit for him.

“I could either be sitting at home doing nothing or helping somebody else,” Granados said.

Sophomore Jacqueline Dang was of a similar opinion. Dang said she joined the CSB last semester because she “wasn’t doing anything and wanted to join something.” After attending her first meeting, Dang said she decided it was the right place because of how was involved.

“Getting WSU students out into the community is eye-opening, and it can really change an individual’s perspective,” Gibbon said. “When they go out, they realize the bigger picture, and they experience someone else’s world.”